ASP.NET Core is a free and open-source web framework, and the next generation of ASP.NET, developed by Microsoft and the community. It is a modular framework that runs on both the full .NET Framework, on Windows, and the cross-platform .NET Core.
ASP.NET Core (Key Points)
- ASP.NET Core is a new framework to build and run applications on cross platforms. We can develop and host ASP.NET Core apps in all major OS i.e. Windows, Linux or Mac.
- ASP.NET Core is basically a Console Application. It’s the main method creates a server or web-host and run this application on that server.
- There are 3 types of projects in ASP.NET Core. WEB API, ASP.NET Core Razor Pages, ASP.NET Core MVC Style
- It has
StartUp.csclass that is being called by the Main method of console application.
StartUp.csclass is a start-up class that is being invoked when the application runs the first time.
- It has mainly two methods
Configure& one constructor.
ConfigureService– You can use this method to configure services. i.e. ASP.NET Core’s default Dependency Injection.
Configure– You can use this method register Middleware components in your application request pipeline. i.e. Cookie Based Authentication, Token Based Authentication, Logging, ExceptionHandling, RouteHandling etc.
- ASP.NET Core removes the concept of using
HTTP Modulesto be a part of it’s request pipeline & it becomes possible due to the concept of Middleware.
Middleware Componentsshould be registered in Configure Method.
Middleware Componentwill use extension methods i.e.
Map. These may be anonymous methods also. (Extension Method of
- In ASP.NET Core, Middleware is the replacement of HTTP Modules in ASP.NET 4.x or below.
OWINis a Middleware for ASP.NET. A replacement of HTTP Modules.
- KATANTA is a project that contains many OWIN Middleware Components that has been developed by Microsoft team.
- The goal of OWIN is decoupling asp.net web applications from IIS. With
the help of OWIN Middleware Components, the app will not rely on
Few Important Links
- Understanding ASP.NET Core Initialization
- Create a web app with ASP.NET Core MVC using Visual Studio
- Application startup in ASP.NET Core
- ASP.NET Core Middleware
- Token Based Authentication with OWIN Middleware
- Cookie Based Authentication with OWIN Middleware
- Using Cookie Authentication without ASP.NET Core Identity
- Building Web APIs with ASP.NET Core 2.0
- ASP.NET Core Authentication
- JWT Token Based Authentication in ASP.NET Core